Sunday, December 11, 2016

DVD Movie Review #198 Krampus: the Reckoning

Well here we are and my Krampus project is starting to come to a close (though a new movie is shipping out as we speak). This time around we have Krampus: The Reckoning. This is one that I thought was related to the other two Krampus films that I had seen previously but I could not have been more wrong. I am once again thrown into the breach for my next in the series of  Krampus Christmas Reviews.
Well we start out our tale with the legend of Krampus. We all know this and of course I will skip out on this as we should know this shit by now. Well we fast forward to a child psychiatrist that is seeing a small girl who's nasty foster parents got burned in some mysterious murder. The child swears up and down that this is Krampus's doing but our Psychiatrist, with the help of an alcoholic police officer are on the case to find out what is going on with this strange little girl and the murders that seem to follow her.
This Movie has a lot of potential (I would say even more than Krampus: The Christmas Devil) as this one nearly achieves true chilling horror. I will say that the portrayal by the little girl though seemingly wooden at first actually matches the character well by the time you get to the end. The plot is actually very well thought out as supernatural horror stories go and there is little camp reflected in the story or the acting. The Music in the background is chilling in its nature and is worth a listen even if it is only moderately good at best. Finally the characterizations are very well done with the psychiatrist and the little girl taking the lead in this thriller.
I wanted to show a picture of Krampus here as I feel that this was one of the short comings of this film. I feel that in these cases makeup and a costume would have been better than this CG animation that feel short more than a few times of hitting the mark. This made what should have otherwise been scary into something less than such. I also feel that the plot had a few other unnecessary things going on such as the obligatory sex scenes showing breasts to feed the audience and of course the detective character that seemingly is there to pad things over for us. This movie's biggest crime is falling just short of being a true horror. Lastly the music though creepy felt like they worked to shoehorn in a Krampus Carol when they could have just as easily sung the original carol and made it creepy.
This movie is at its base very solid but its crime is that of missed potential and this makes me a tad sad in the end. Still if you are ok with these shortcomings I would still recommend checking this film out.
Rating:  6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment